Beginners guide to organize life - Part 2



Organizing is what you do before you do something,
so that when you do it, it is not all mixed up. 
             - A. A. Milne


Simply put, if one is aware of what is where and what to do next, it clears one's mind to more things than one.

In my last post - Beginners guide to organize life, I used a simple exercise to begin the journey towards organizing life.

The exercise required all to observe each and every day, each and every waking hour for the next 15 days.

The purpose was to have a wider and clearer picture of the hours spent in a day and take the next step to get more done.

In today's post we'll be going a step further.

Below is my sheet of the past 15 days and what I did. We can use this as a sample and try and understand a few things.







I am a lazy person and love to laze by my days. The same is evident by my worksheet. I have listed the activities but didn't go in details of every hour. You can be as elaborate as you want. The more detailed you are, the more helpful this tool becomes.

Once you have your table ready, either on a notebook or a laptop, now do you see the common tasks?

There are certain tasks or chores that we do everyday. At times we automatically do these as if we were just meant to. Now these form our routine. Like, waking up with bed tea, making your bed first thing in morning or going for shower just before you rush out for work.

The point is, though having a routine is great and it is always considered worthy of increasing productivity, but only when the routine works for you.

Most of the time we settle into this routine and barely do anything apart from it. Even for a simple thing like grocery shopping we need an external push i.e. when we are barely left with groceries to go out and get them.

Let me elaborate by taking the example of my usual day. I am busy most of the time and have no time to -
Talk to my friend
Go for shopping
Do something I Love
Unless I keep thinking about it for days and then do it one day.


To live one needs to explore more do random stuff. One needs physical as well as mental and spiritual experience to keep alive.

I want to go for a vacation twice a year and have been thinking since two years but it hasn't happened.

So with the new year 2019 approaching let's go a step ahead.

Taking from where you left, chalking out what all you do everyday and every hour, this time we are going to make two lists.

List number one will be of things that you do everyday and you need to do them.

List number two will be of things you want to do like throwing a surprise birthday party for your spouse etc.

Make it as exhaustive and inclusive as you can. We'll move further in the next post.



After the last post, few people asked me that organizing will kill creativity, so will be discussing on this in the upcoming posts.

Meanwhile you keep sharing your experience with me. If you have any questions or something specific you want me to help with in your organizing you can always DM me on Twitter - @thefuschialady or in the comments below.



Every alternate Wednesday is dedicated to stories or instances or learnings that I learn or implement at work. So stay tuned for #WorkWednesdays






Comments

Popular Posts