Book review : Buddha by Osamu Tezuka


Buddha - is a unique take on the subject, Gautam Buddha, by the author.


I picked up the book as I was intrigued by the title. I know about Buddha through school text books and now wanted to know more. As I opened the book and found cartoons drawn all through I was disappointed. I am not a fan of comics now.... actually have never so been.



But I never keep away any book once I pick it. I am a budding authour and I believe I should do justice to every other author. Reading this one was easy given the graphics. It is a manga book.

Manga - the Japanese style of cartoons for kids and adults. This was my first experience with Manga. Though I started it with apprehension, as I read it, I liked it and got engrossed.

It is short, sweet and gripping. I'll definitely give a good amount of credit to the manga artist as well for the expressions drawn. The graphic images speak volumes. The storyline is same as we all know yet little bits of twists and maybe fiction is added on. It makes one wonder what really happened and what's fiction. Well this review is only of the first two books in the series as I have just read them.

It is a critically acclaimed work of Osamu Tezuka and going through the series you'll get the reason why. 

And...I so love the cover. So much thought has been put into the design and detail, how can one not appreciate it.

The best part is, though it is a series no part leaves one with the feeling that it is incomplete.

Overall, I'll rate it 4/5.



                                     




Book Blurb :


The classic eight volume graphic novel series from the godfather of the genre an irreverent and humourous rendition of the life and times of Buddha is now available in Box Set. Originated in the 1970s, Buddha is Osamu Tezuka's unparalleled rendition of the life and times of Prince Siddhartha. Tezuka's storytelling genius and consummate skill at visual expression blossom fully as he contextualizes the Buddha's ideas, with an emphasis on action, emotion, humour and conflict as Prince Siddhartha runs away from home, travels across India and questions Hindu practices such as ascetic self-mutilation and caste oppression. Rather than recommend resignation and impassivity, Tezuka's Buddha predicates enlightenment upon recognizing the interconnectedness of life, having compassion for the suffering and ordering one's life sensibly. Furthermore, his approach is slightly irreverent in that it incorporates something that Western commentators often eschew, namely, humour.
The Box Set includes

  • Buddha: Kapilvastu - Vol. 1
  • Buddha: The Four Encounters - Vol. 2
  • Buddha: Devadatta - Vol. 3
  • Buddha: The Forest of Uruvela - Vol. 4
  • Buddha: Deer Park - Vol. 5
  • Buddha: Ananda - Vol. 6
  • Buddha: Prince Ajatasattu - Vol. 7
  • Buddha: Jetavana - Vol. 8

Comments

Popular Posts