Book review : How to be a Bawse By Lilly Singh

 


So I got this book in 2017 because I loved the title and since then have tried 5 times to read it. The first 4 times I just couldn’t get past chapter 3. While purchasing it I thought its Lilly Singh’s autobiography but it is actually a self-help book. This is a beautiful book like literally...bigger font, glossy pages, cool pictures of lilly Singh and cute caricatures and one of the reason why I decided on giving it a final try in 2021 before I DNF it for-forever.

And to my surprise I liked this book almost like a second best to my favourite self-help – The power of habit by Charles Duhigg.

Maybe previously I was not in the frame of mind to relate to what was written and now when I have connected with the content I know this one is a gem to treasure and read as and when I feel the need.

Lilly has written it in a simple, easy going language, using examples from her life as well as what life throws at all of us. The book is quite motivating. And Lilly with her anecdotes is so action-inspiring.

The book is divided into 4 parts of a total of 50 chapters of life lessons that Lilly learned on in her journey. The book also has some exercises that one can fill out as one progress hence putting what one learns into action there and then.

This book shows one a different perspective of thinking and seeing things. And to apply the new found observation and thought to life situations and ourselves.

There are several pointers which if thought of daily can revolutionize one’s life. Some that I remember very strikingly are -

1.       Self control

2.       Know yourself deep down and clean

3.       Accept yourself.

4.       Be driven by goals not emotions

5.       Take ownership

6.       Reflect on how things happened, good or bad

7.       Put a 100% into everything you do...try to make it different, add an edge.

8.       Don’t lose your focus

9.       Consistency is the key

10.   Create deadlines and stick to them

11.   Invest in yourself

12.   Be open, honest and respectful

There’s so much to learn from this book but if there’s one daily mantra that I have adapted from the book it is –

Say what you mean but don’t be mean and Smile, stand tall and be as adorable as you can.

Way to go Bawse!!





Comments

Popular Posts