3 things I learned in lockdown



                         How did the lockdown treat you?

 

For me lockdown was ok-ish BUT it did taught me a lot!

Before lockdown began in India, I assumed lockdown to be a vacation...I know I am still a kid! hehe. And once it began, the reality set in.

We Indians are a spoilt breed. We go to work in offices and think that is tiresome enough and cant work at home and hence we need to have household help around. From cooking to sweeping to dusting to laundry we don’t do a thing at home.

So, with the prime minister announcing a complete lockdown there was no household help coming our way. To make matters worse, for a family of 4, my mother was at my naanis place and now she couldn’t return and my father, my brother and I...none of us knew how to do any of the household chores.

So on the first day, the three of us decided that we will prioritize the chores and move forward. So cooking cannot be ignored and will have to do it every day, maybe not 3 times but at least once a day has to be there. We can wash the utensils on alternate days. Cleaning, sweeping, dusting and laundry were decided to be done once a week.

I don’t know how to cook but then that is the reason we have YouTube. But when everyone is at home, cooking once a day is a myth. But I am blessed, as my father and my brother willingly took up to help me with cooking. Sweeping and doing the utensils was delegated to my brother. We never wanted our old man to do anything but he insisted that he wants to help, so washing the laundry in washing machine was given to him.  And thats how it was decided how we all will #sharetheload.

The first thing that lockdown taught me is that doing household chores can be fun when you have ready to help hands around. It is so rightly said #sharechoresmultiplylove.

On the 5th day of the lockdown, when my father decided to wash our clothes we got to know that our WASHING MACHINE BROKE DOWN! I mean what! I mean how...nooooooo.

So till the time our machine got repaired we had to wash our clothes by hand. Trust me when I say - WASHING MACHINE makes the task way way way easier. It was a good over 15 days before the washing machine got repaired and so we did our own clothes that no one person was overly loaded with work...so yes #sharethelaundry did make it a bit easier.

So another thing that lockdown taught me is – take care of your household machines as you do of yourself... THEY ARE VERY VERY IMPORTANT AS WELL.

Now post lockdown, my mother is back home with us. And we are now accustomed to doing office work and house work together...and #sharechoresmultiplylove is our new motto to live by. So I help my mom in cooking and doing laundry. My brother and my father help in cleaning the house and doing the utensils. But I guess my father has adopted the washing machine as one of his child now because the moment he sees anyone nearing washing machine he reaches there, takes the clothes and start sorting them and putting them in gently. And then he will be the one to run the tap and the timer...hehe  I know he is cute.


 


SO the third and the most important thing this lockdown has taught me is to be GRATEFUL.

I am grateful the lockdown happened.

I am grateful the lockdown is over.

I am grateful that mom is back home with us.

I am grateful that we took care of each other.

I am grateful for the numerous easy-to-cook recipes online.

I am grateful for a functioning washing machine.

I am grateful that we are safe.

I am grateful that we could spend more time together.

 

This blog post is part of - I will #sharetheload and help in household chores in association with Ariel India and BlogAdda.




#sharetheload #sharethelaundry #sharechoresmultiplylove

Comments

Popular Posts