P.T.O. - A Book Reading Session


I don't know when I fell in love with reading and writing. All I remember is that it happened when I was in school.

Reading started with compulsory library class in primary school where we were enticed by the children's picture books.

From children's books to Nancy Drew's to Sidney Sheldon to Mills and Boons the interest just grew and grew.

But as I started to work, I tried to read but due to tiredness, laziness and work pressure both reading and writing took a back seat. Infact there was a time when I used to finish a book in a year!

A couple of years ago, I found a community of people interested in reading, writing, sharing knowledge in my city. It is a start-up known as - Kaffienated Konversations. And I must say, community helps one a lot.

So now, despite my busy schedule, I find time to read and write. It was like a reunion for us.

Last week I was invited by Kaffienated Konversations to be one of there reader's for the book reading session in our city of the book - P.T.O.

This was my first experience to be a reader. Of course we all have done it numerous times, in schools and colleges, but doing it as a special organised event is rare.

I was elated and nervous both at the same time. Thinking it to be a great stepping stone and a good learning experience, I agreed to do it.

On agreeing, I even made the action plan. I need to read the book, find out the excerpt which goes most with my personality and liking as well as one that stirs listeners interest to read the book. I was confident with my strategy. But given my busy schedule I was not getting time to read the book too. And then the event promo started.


sugar-and-spice-cookies


This image itself made me nervous. Though I shared it in my social groups and took the compliments in full spirit but it made me all conscious. The more the people appreciated, the more conscious I got.

Finally the D-Day. As I was unable to trace the location I got a bit late to the event. The good part was, it hadn't started. People settling in, conversing with each other.

I could see a mix gentry. Some teenagers, a college group and a professor, few professionals. I knew my choice of story is going to work for all. This did gave me a bit confidence.

The book is written by 4 new authors and is a collection of 4 short stories.

The titles are -

Serendipity? Not so much
Resistive Approach and Strategic Thinking
I.D.I.O.T.S.
Journey of essence

I read an excerpt from the first one. Here's a clip of it.





This being my first experience I got a bit shaky. There were places, things didn't go as I planned but overall it was a great experience.

An experience which made me think of what to wear based on people's perceptions to be comfortable to retain confidence.

An experience which made me go back to my roots, my school days and to learn something new with this new reading experience.

An experience which made my heart glow with people's good wishes and compliments.

Thank you Kaffienated Konversations for this wonderful opportunity, I definitely look forward to do so more.



P.S. If you like this post....do like the blog as well.

Every alternate Wednesday is dedicated to stories or instances or learnings that I learn or implement at work. So stay tuned for #WorkWednesdays

Comments

  1. Wow that’s a great opportunity you received. I’ve stage phobia I don’t know when i’ll be able to gather courage for vlog...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First time performances are always a learning experience.
    Loved reading about your journey up to here.

    Will surely check out that book. Sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a well written post, good to know u love writing and reading both :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a wonderful experience to have, Kadambari. And you did it so well! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow that sound great. even I feel the same, cant find much time to read now, but this look like a great option.. and congrats for your reading.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting write up. I'm glad you found some new opportunities to keep reading and writing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading is such an important facet of our life but as rightly pointed with time and work we neglect it and get disconnected with the art of book reading, and suddenly we are left with no motivation to keep reading new books.
    In such situations groups and community play a big role in reviving that interest in us. The name of this group of yours "Kaffienated Konversations" is quite intriguing, every such new experience makes us richer in our thoughts and we build newer perspectives to navigate our life better. Thanks for sharing such lovely reading experience of yours...
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations for being invited. Reading and writing two beautiful aspects of life

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is interesting. Would love to attend book reading sessions

    Www.notjustmommying.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book community seems like a wonderful group. Yes, busy days and changing life situations can take a toll on our reading, but finding the right community is a blessing indeed. I have a feeling this is based in Bengaluru. But it's just how the Blogchatter is pushing me to write more and more, this community gives you so much love. Don't worry about the first few hiccups. Hope you opt for this more and more.

    [@samantha_rjsdr] from
    Whimsical Compass

    ReplyDelete
  11. Must have been such a great experience to read out in front of an audience. The beginning is always scary.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats...it was lovely reading about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish to find such a community and become a part of it. And you read it pretty well. 🙂 Keep the spirits high.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad that you stepped up and went ahead to grab the opportunity. These small little things help in growing our life experiences. #readbypreetispanorama for #MyFriendAlexa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can you elaborate a bit more as to what you do in this community?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Community definitely helps you to continue your hobbies
    #sindhureads #myfriendalexa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely post. It was great to know about your experience with Kaffienated Konversations.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A good attempt at reading and an experience many would think twice before taking up! I mean I would love to be there, but to instill that confidence in me like those school days is something lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I believe books are man's best friend. It was lovely reading about this session :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The idea of a book-reading group sounds so much. Which city is it in? You read quite confidently, must say. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts