GOALS ahead!!

Almost a month down in the new year and that time when either people couldn't keep any resolutions or have broken their resolutions or are struggling to keep up. Personally I don't like the word resolutions. I prefer GOALS.
Every year I used to make a list of to-dos for the coming year on 31st December and as I closed the diary the same were already put to a closure and never looked at again. This year from December starting I saw a lot of posts from blogchatter, my blogging anchor about planning, goals ahead, blogging calendar and that just set the pace.
So this year I decided I am going to have some goals and then see how it turns out. But how do one differentiate between resolution and goal. According to dictionary

Resolution
noun (DECISION)
- an official decision that is made after a group or organization has voted: to approve/adopt a resolution.

- a promise to yourself to do or to not do something.

Goal
noun (TARGET)
An observable and measurable end result having one or more objectives to be achieved within a more or less fixed timeframe.

What I would say, Goal sounds better plus with a more fixed time frame.

In one of my monthly meet-ups the topic of discussion was indeed New Year Resolutions and reading the same I thought I'll pass it. But I went ahead and attended it and as for most meets it was memorable and knowledgeable experience.

So in order to get on with goal setting (incase you haven't yet or were not able to implement the same) here are the pointers that you can remember --

Get a closure on previous year.
One it means to close what happened last year rights and wrongs and move ahead. Second if certain things are pending or have room for growth the same can be carried forward to the new year to complete. As for me I have left everything of 2016 in 2016 and will be starting afresh in 2017….besides as I said, I have never seen the resolutions again after writing them so the baggage is going to be huge so it's better left alone…:)

Make a list of new Goals.
Make a new list helps set the pace and theme for the new year.  Like for me I am going to have few segments - Personal,  Professional etc. and sub sections in the same.

Deploy the 10 Goal method.
It is said that you should make goals but always keep in mind not to have more than 10 goals at a time. People believe having more than 10 goals are sure reason not being able to keep up with most.

Action plan.
Write those goals on paper in present tense and prioritize. Mention one goal on one paper and jot down the date to complete, the difficulties you are going to face and come up with a plan to overcome the same.
I am applying this method for this year and given the time frame though I have been late at reaching certain milestones but the journey has started and I am sure by the end of the year I'll reach the destination.

Do share your goals for the year and how you plan to achieve them.


Starting this week every alternate Wednesday is dedicated to stories or instances or learnings that I learn or implement at work. So stay tuned for #WorkWednesdays

Comments

Popular Posts